Effective Date: November 9, 2018
Personal Information We Collect
We collect information directly from individuals or through third parties that make bookings or otherwise interact with us on your behalf, as well as automatically through the use of our Site.
Information we collect directly or through third parties
We collect certain information from you directly or through third parties that make bookings or otherwise interact with us on your behalf when booking a stay at the Hotel or providing other online travel-related services. You may choose what personal data you want to provide to us. However, if you choose not to provide certain details, some of your transactions with us may be impacted. The types of personal data that we collect includes:
- Identity and Contact Data, including your first name, last name, employer name, username or similar identifier, marital status, passport or other identification that you present at the time you check-in to the Hotel, home and/or business addresses, email addresses, phone numbers, date of birth and gender or gender identity, and your image(s);
- Financial Data, including your credit or debit card details (type of card, credit card number, name on card, expiration date, and security code);
- Transactional Data, including details about payments to and from you and other details of products and services you have purchased from us, such as room charges, telephone and fax usage, and messages received;
- Profile Data, including data about your stay at the Hotel, including date of arrival and departure and information about your specific preferences concerning your stay at the Hotel, such as food and beverage preferences and room preferences and requests;
- Job Applicant Data, including information of the type that would be included on a resume such as work experience, education, and languages spoken; and
- Marketing and Communications Data, including your preferences in receiving marketing from us and third parties and your communications preferences.
Information we collect automatically
When using our Site, we also collect information automatically, some of which may be personal data. This includes data such as language settings, IP address, location, device settings, device OS, log information, time of usage, URL requested, status report, user agent (information about the browser version), browsing history, and type of data viewed.
Our Use of Personal Information
We will always have a lawful basis when we collect and use your personal information, such as necessity to perform a contract that we have with you, because you consented to our use of your personal information, because it is in our legitimate interest, or so that we can establish, exercise, or defend a legal claim. We use your personal information for the following purposes:
- Provide Products and Services: We use your information to provide you with our products and services. For example, if you make a reservation with us, we will use your data to carry out our obligation to complete and administer that reservation or to communicate with you in connection with your booking at the Hotel and assisting in making travel arrangements.
- Customer Service: We use your personal data to respond to any customer service inquiries or requests that you may have. This may include communicating with you about the Hotel or the Site, fulfilling your orders and requests, processing your payments, communicating with you, and similar service and support purposes. We also may need to contact you or update you about completed reservations or partially completed reservations.
- Careers: We will use the information to facilitate our recruitment activities, including processing employment applications, evaluating a job candidate for an employment activity, and monitoring recruiting statistics;
- Marketing Purposes: We use your data for marketing activities as permitted by law, including to send or show you updates on latest news, offers and promotions in connections with our services or sending or showing you marketing offers about our Hotel, loyalty programs, contests and sweepstakes. We provide you with the ability to opt-out of our marketing materials. In addition, where required by law, we seek your affirmative consent before sending you marketing communications. You may opt out of such communications at any time by following the opt-out instructions in the marketing material or emailing us at email@example.com.
- Analytics and Research: We may use personal data to conduct research and analysis to better understand how our customers use the Site, the Hotel, and any other products and offerings. We may involve a third party to do this on our behalf. We may use your personal data for analytical purposes to improve our services, enhance the user experience, and improve the functionality and quality of our online travel services.
- Security and Fraud Detection: We may use your personal data in order to prevent fraud or other illegal or infringing activities on our Site and our business operations. We also may use this information to investigate and detect fraud, unauthorized activities and access, and other misuse of our Site or the wireless network at the Hotel. We can use personal data for risk assessment and security purposes, including the authentication of users.
- Legal and Compliance: We may use your personal data to comply with legal requirements, judicial process, and our company policies. For example, we may disclose information in response to subpoenas, court orders and/or other lawful requests by regulators and/or law enforcement.
We also may aggregate and/or de-identify any information that we collect, such that the information no longer identifies any specific individual. We may use, disclose and otherwise process such information for our own legitimate business purposes – including historical and statistical analysis and business planning – without restriction.
Sharing Personal Information
We may share personal information with the following categories of third parties:
- with affiliated third party partners and joint ventures that may send marketing communications to you, including for other products and services related to the Shinola brand, with your consent if legally required;
- with non-affiliated third parties that may send you marketing communications about products or services about which you may be interested, with your consent if legally required;
- customer service and support providers;
- reservation booking companies;
- payment processing companies;
- technology providers (including technology support, central reservation system providers, keyless entry providers, email and web hosting providers, and email and text communications providers);
- meeting and event planners;
- travel agents and corporate travel coordinators;
- shipping and fulfillment service providers;
- survey and market research providers;
- advertising and marketing partners so that they can provide marketing services or conduct marketing or social interaction activities on our behalf such as campaigns, contests, sweepstakes, market research, customer surveys and data analytics to help us improve and tailor our marketing activities, products and services; and
- analytics organizations;
- with professional advisors, such as lawyers, bankers, auditors, and insurers, where necessary in the course of the professional services they provide to us;
- with a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings); and
- as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
If you prefer that we do not share your personal information with third parties for marketing purposes, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We employ commercially reasonable security procedures to prevent unauthorized access to, and the misuse of, personal information. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure, and we cannot ensure the security of the information that you transmit.
Third Party websites and links
Our Site may contain links to other websites whose information practices may be different than ours. Visitors should consult the other websites’ privacy notices as we have no control over information that is submitted to, or collected by, these third parties.
Children under the age of 16
We do not knowingly collect personal information from any person under the age of 16. If we learn that we have collected or received personal information from a child under the age of 16 without parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under the age of 16, please contact us by sending an email stating your request to email@example.com.
Our retention periods for personal information are based on business needs and legal requirements. We retain personal information only for as long as is necessary to fulfill the processing purposes for which the information was collected, and any other permissible, related purpose, depending on the purpose(s) for which the information was collected, the nature of the information, any contractual relationship that may govern the retention of the data, and our legal or regulatory obligations. If you have a question about a specific retention period for certain types of personal data we process about you, contact us using the conduct details included below
Your choices and rights
If you would like to review, correct, update, suppress or delete personal information that you have provided to us, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your request, please make clear what personal information you would like to have changed, whether you would like to have the personal information you have provided to us suppressed from our database, or otherwise let us know what limitations you would like to put on our use of the personal information you have provided to us. For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the personal information associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting such change or deletion. There also may be residual information that will remain within our databases and other records which will not be removed.
Changes to this policy
We reserve the right to revise this policy or any part of it from time to time. Please review the policy periodically for changes. If we make material changes, we will endeavor to provide notice ahead of such changes, such as by email or through a notice prominently on the Site.
1400 Woodward Avenue
Detroit, MI 48226